Check for Previous Purchase not working (Android)

Ask and help answer questions about the WolfQuest game and forum. Check the Knowledge Base first! http://support.wolfquest.org

Moderator: Neamara

Wolfwind

Check for Previous Purchase not working (Android)

Post by Wolfwind » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:40 pm

Sorry if there's already a topic for this, couldn't find one.

I've just switched phones, and I'm trying to put Wolfquest on my new one (Samsung Galaxy S7). I had purchased the full version on my old one. Unfortunately the "Check for previous purchase" button doesn't do anything. It turns orange when selected but that's it. I've already tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well as restarting the device.

My art: canis-ferox.deviantart.com

"I like being weird. Weird's all I've got. That and my sweet style."

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Re: Check for Previous Purchase not working (Android)

Post by Koa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi,
I have never used an Android phone so I am not sure how much I can help you.
If you haven't already, try the "Smart Switch" app for Samsung. This might be an alternative to re-downloading old purchases from the Play Store if you are having trouble.
http://smartphones.reviewed.com/feature ... dtoandroid
YOU SAY YOU WANT TO GET BETTER AND YOU DON'T KNOW HOW.

Wolfwind

Post by Wolfwind » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:59 pm

Koa wrote:Hi,
I have never used an Android phone so I am not sure how much I can help you.
If you haven't already, try the "Smart Switch" app for Samsung. This might be an alternative to re-downloading old purchases from the Play Store if you are having trouble.
http://smartphones.reviewed.com/feature ... dtoandroid
That's a super useful app, but unfortunately with the problems my old phone was having I wasn't able to use it with this swap. Thanks for the reply though in any case! :)

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:04 pm

When you check for previous purchases, is that specific button supposed to show all your past purchases, or is it just supposed to show WolfQuest? (i.e. Did you click on WolfQuest and then check for a previous purchase? Sorry, not familar with their app store.) A screenshot would be helpful.

Wolfwind

Post by Wolfwind » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:12 pm

Sorry, it's an option in one of the game's menus.
Screenshot:

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Wolfwind wrote:Sorry, it's an option in one of the game's menus.
Screenshot:
Okay, that's super helpful. Is there any way you can go through the Google Play store (if that's the right store for Android purchases, haha) and redownload the game through there?

Regarding the in-game button not working, I would recommend sending in a bug report to bugs@wolfquest.org following the instructions here:
http://www.wolfquest.org/bb/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=29539

You're logged into your WolfQuest account when you are clicking that re-download option, correct?

Wolfwind

Post by Wolfwind » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:11 pm

Hm that's a good idea and it should work (or at least show me all previous purchases on that account). But it's actually not showing anything at all in that list.

I just checked the only other google account I remember having (in case I set up Google Play with different account when I got the old phone 3 or so years ago) and no purchases show there either. Really strange. This wasn't my only purchased app either. Possibly this is a google issue.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe I had some third google account way back then, in which case it's all user error haha.... Pretty sure that's not the case, but when I'm back at my parents' house this weekend I'll see if I can borrow a spare battery and get my old phone to work so I can check. If I can do that I may be able to use Smart Switch and fix it that way.

I wonder what the "Check for Previous Purchase" button is supposed to do when there is no previous purchase on that account. Knowing that might help. I want to make sure it's a glitch before emailing.

Edit: About WQ accounts, the app won't let you log into your account till you have the paid version.

Koa
WolfQuest Moderator
WolfQuest Moderator

Post by Koa » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:32 pm

Wolfwind wrote:Hm that's a good idea and it should work (or at least show me all previous purchases on that account). But it's actually not showing anything at all in that list.

I just checked the only other google account I remember having (in case I set up Google Play with different account when I got the old phone 3 or so years ago) and no purchases show there either. Really strange. This wasn't my only purchased app either. Possibly this is a google issue.

The only other thing I can think of is that maybe I had some third google account way back then, in which case it's all user error haha.... Pretty sure that's not the case, but when I'm back at my parents' house this weekend I'll see if I can borrow a spare battery and get my old phone to work so I can check.

I wonder what the "Check for Previous Purchase" button is supposed to do when there is no previous purchase on that account. Knowing that might help. I want to make sure it's a glitch before emailing.

Edit: About WQ accounts, the app won't let you log into your account till you have the paid version.
If the Google Play store isn't showing your other purchases as well, then I would assume that's an issue with either related to the store or your account. However, it's still troubling that you are having issues with the in-game WolfQuest store.

I would imagine that the "Check for Previous Purchase" button would yield a prompt or something related to well, previous purchases. If it's not doing anything whatsoever, there could be a possibility it's not working, either. But I'm also not sure exactly what it's supposed to yield.

I've never used the mobile version of WolfQuest and the login/purchasing process seems quite different to what I'm used to. Hopefully someone with mobile experience can help you out more directly.

But I did want to ask you about the Google Play Store to see whether or not it was a problem specifically with WolfQuest or beyond WolfQuest. It seems like there are two separate problems going on, though-- one with the Google Play Store, and one with the WolfQuest store, itself. The common denominator here, if they are not two separate problems, could be your Google Play account. How did you download this version of WolfQuest on your new phone? Did it ask for your Google Play username/pass or something similar, or were you already logged in? I know with my iPhone I am prompted to enter the e-mail associated with my Apple ID and my password. I am not sure if Android has a similar setup.

Wolfwind

Post by Wolfwind » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:54 pm

Koa wrote: If the Google Play store isn't showing your other purchases as well, then I would assume that's an issue with either related to the store or your account. However, it's still troubling that you are having issues with the in-game WolfQuest store.

I would imagine that the "Check for Previous Purchase" button would yield a prompt or something related to well, previous purchases. If it's not doing anything whatsoever, there could be a possibility it's not working, either. But I'm also not sure exactly what it's supposed to yield.
Hm yeah that's a good point, if no one more familiar with the app weighs in soon I'll go ahead and send a bug report on that, in case it's just not functioning.
Koa wrote:I've never used the mobile version of WolfQuest and the login/purchasing process seems quite different to what I'm used to. Hopefully someone with mobile experience can help you out more directly.

But I did want to ask you about the Google Play Store to see whether or not it was a problem specifically with WolfQuest or beyond WolfQuest. It seems like there are two separate problems going on, though-- one with the Google Play Store, and one with the WolfQuest store, itself. The common denominator here, if they are not two separate problems, could be your Google Play account. How did you download this version of WolfQuest on your new phone? Did it ask for your Google Play username/pass or something similar, or were you already logged in? I know with my iPhone I am prompted to enter the e-mail associated with my Apple ID and my password. I am not sure if Android has a similar setup.
I was already logged in on my Google Play account, and it doesn't prompt you to log in again once you start downloading a free app from the store. It might if I tried purchasing anything. I thought it could be that the previous purchase check button is a toggle switch that would check when you try to pay, but it unselects when I tap the "Buy It" button.
Not quite sure what's up with that account but I'll find out more when/if I'm able to get into my old phone.

Return to “Tips, Hints, and Help”