8%

Total votes: 950

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Fidd/Randy/Bell

Re: Pokémon

Post by Riceboy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:13 pm

Robin Hoot please, Pokemon. But lets make Litten a little less unoriginal. Thanks, Nintendo. I wanna see their shinies so I can spend the rest of my life soft resetting.

Honestly, I'm really hoping to see more of Alain in the series. After XYZ, though, it seems like Ash is going to school? Sun & Moon series looks really goofy and fun. I'm really excited for it.
I could use something to eat.
i am ossan

I'm really, really hungry.

valkea
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month
Name: Rowan

Post by valkea » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:27 pm

I just looked at that list of Sun/Moon Pokemon and-- why is there a sand castle pokemon, i love and hate everything about this at the same time. i don't even keep up with this series why am i here thinking about a sand castle.
má shínim seal uaire faoi chrann a dhéanamh só
o cad é sin don te sin nach mbaineann sin dó?

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:32 am

You could also ask why there's a Pokeball Pokemon, a garbage bag Pokemon... A bunch-of-eggs Pokemon...

Actually, that Sandcastle Pokemon has a really interesting story. At least I think so.
A Sandygast emerges when the grudges of Pokémon and other creatures soak into the sand after they fall in battle. In essence, it’s a possessed lump of sand! If you heedlessly grab a Sandygast’s shovel, you’ll fall under the Pokémon’s control. A Sandygast uses its power to manipulate children into gathering sand to increase the size of its body. If a Sandygast loses its shovel, it may put up a tree branch, a flag, or another item in its place. These Sandygast are wanderers in search of their own shovels. The tunnel-like mouth of a Sandygast can suck the vitality from people and Pokémon. Apparently it’s a test of courage in the Alola region to put your hand in a Sandygast’s mouth.
Palossand controls human adults, making them build a sand castle that provides camouflage and also raises its defensive abilities. Unlike Sandygast, if Palossand loses some of the sand from its body, it can restore itself on its own. When moving about in search of prey, the shovel on top of Palossand’s head revolves. It’s said that the shovel could be serving as some kind of radar. Palossand loves the vitality of Pokémon and drags small Pokémon into its body so it can steal their life force. Its sandy vortex swallows them up in a heartbeat! Pokémon dragged into Palossand leave traces of their ill will behind. It’s thought that this negative energy may be the starting point of new Sandygast...

TL;DR--ghost forces humans to build a body for it to protect it. Grudges of Pokemon/humans that fall in battle/etc. causes new little evil sandpiles to appear. "In essence, it’s a possessed lump of sand!"
i am ossan

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:17 am

Ah, I see. Thanks for the Ash-Greninja explanation. Its kind of weird though - if he's like that with Greninja...why isn't he like that with Pikachu whose been with him from the start? Through thick and thin, etc.

Yeah, Sun/Moon is a game changer for sure. I like the idea of no gyms, but at the same time it makes me wary as its not what I'm used to...for the past 20 years I've been defeating gyms and elite 4s, haha! Let's hope it works out.

Personally I consider this generation as kind of a 'reset' for Pokemon. Everything is going to be different - the games' layout/format and even the anime (format and art style). Personally I would have used this reset opportunity to retire Ash & Pikachu in the anime and instead follow a new set of characters. Not only would it make for a nice change, but it would make the art style changes less jarring. Maybe follow another trainer with a Pikachu?

(Personally I hate the new anime art style, Ash looks like he's 6 years old instead of 10!)
Former WolfQuest Moderator. 2009 - 2011

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:56 am

I think it's because of Greninja himself more than anything. Similar to the way only certain Pokemon can mega-evolve. Because according to the show, there was a Greninja that did it ages ago, too. IDK.

--

They're going nuts on Alola, I can say that much. If they continue to make it so there's no gyms, I'd be fine. But even if they brought gyms back later, I'd still be fine with it. I like how--cultural Alola is. The entire game is just--gorgeous. So proud of it. SOOO proud. We'll have to see with future games. I just like how much effort, culture, and so on they're putting into this game.

Also regarding the animation style, a lot of fans agree with you. All the fans hate it. But I PERSONALLY quite like it, because it makes him look like the kid he is, also I know they probably aren't keeping it. It's meant to be goofier than the original show, too. It's full of gags, jokes, and so on. Honestly, I think it could just be considered a spin-off, almost. Just like how Alola is so different than than the other games, I guess they wanted to make the show for it feel different as well. Since they went from Ash almost dying every episode--I guess they wanted to make Alola feel SO much more lighthearted, which got a negative effect from fans...
It is still weird, though, considering how intense he's become XYZ. (I mean, his heart stopped... Then he RAN aWAY INTo A BLIZZARD. He's done some really cool stuff!) I guess I just feel like Ash deserves it--being the non-aging child protagonist and considering all the stuff he's been through. Even if it means making him a little less
rough around the edges. Ha.

Also he's going to school in Sun & Moon. That's neat. Wonder how THAT'll go.

EDIT: Popplio can't catch a break, can it? Poor baby.
i am ossan

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:42 pm

Riceboy wrote:EDIT: Popplio can't catch a break, can it? Poor baby.
I'm torn between laughing and frowning at how pointless and ridiculous that outrage is. It looked and still looks like a clown/circus seal. It looked and still looks cute. I honestly don't see the problem. ._.
SolitaryHowl wrote:Personally I consider this generation as kind of a 'reset' for Pokemon.
I agree! I think that's part of why I'm really excited for it; it looks like they're breaking away from the formula a little bit and were really inspired about the whole thing. I love to see the progress on the game and cannot wait to see what the final product will be. I've also thrown out the doubt of buying it or not - I'm getting it as soon as it comes out. (Torracat will be miiine.)
--
I love how some of the initially quirky/silly-seeming Pokémon sometimes have such dark stories behind them. Drifloon is still quite a bit more disturbing than it looks, for example. Same with Stumpyghost Phantump which I keep forgetting the name of: "According to old tales, these Pokémon are stumps possessed by the spirits of children who died while lost in the forest."

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:57 pm

People will be displeased with everything, no matter how menial, and act like it effects them in every way!

--

Dude a lot of Pokemon are horrifying, even if the "stories" in Pokedexes are just myths. Lost children? Spoopy. But SOOO METAL.
i am ossan

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:07 pm

Pretty sure they did. People are silly.

So I'm a little sad but not surprised that you only get a poster for pre-ordering Pokemon over here. At least, as far as I can tell. The poster is really cool, but I would have love to get something a little more. That being said, in the past, I've had horrible luck with things like statues when pre-ordering. When I pre-ordered Platinum, they said I'd get a Giratina statue with it. I know supplies are limited, but I was one of the first people to pick it up. (Only about 3 others before me.) Yet they "ran out" and I walked away with the game and slight disappointment. That statue was cool, too.
i am ossan

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:05 am

A few new Pokemon! http://www.serebii.net/sunmoon/pokemon.shtml

The newest ones are sort of a hit or miss for me. I don't really like Jararanga, but I like Jararango.

I wonder if they'll add a new eeveelution. They seem to add a new one (or two) every generation or so.

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:22 am

I quite like Null's evolution. I wonder if there is some lore behind Null, since it sounds like a pretty special Pokémon. (Based on Null's description, there probably is..(

The Jarang's look pretty cool, too. I'll be curious to see what their models look like.

Thank you for sharing that!

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:15 am

Okay, so I know a lot of people don't like non-official leaks, but thanks to the demo we now know almost every Pokemon released, generally. This is including the final forms of the starters. If you don't want to get it spoiled until official releases, don't click on the links: non shiny starters and new Pokemon and shiny starters and new Pokemon.

Also, going to put my opinion under a spoiler tag to avoid ruining anything for anyone not wanting to view the videos.

Don't click if you are waiting for the official releases
Show
SO I KNEW THAT THOSE LEAKS WERE REAL--but not enough to say anything stupid like "I told you so." It was all up in the air. I'm still unsure of Litten's final type--but I'm too scared to look into it. I don't think I'm not going to pick Litten--but still. Still quite up in the air seeing that I was also considering Rowlet.

The "overdesign" of the super beasts is--meh to me. Not interested in them, themselves. But fascinated to hear their story and place in the game. I really have a lot of say about a lot of Pokemon...
i am ossan

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:35 am

Thanks for linking those, and being so considerate about it.
Spoiler
Show
I'm a bit sad that the starter leaks were confirmed to be real, but only because of Litten's final form. I guess I'm just never evolving Torracat, hah. I still think Popplio's final evolution is the only one that seems to be consistent with the rest, but alas..

I looove the toucan, and was hoping/expecting one to make it into the game. The beasts still confuse me; can't tell if they're supposed to be Pokémon or not.
As a side note, can I just say Stufful is hilarious to me? I'm hoping to do some double battles with Stufful and Skitty. Haaah.

SolitaryHowl
Skilled Hunter
Skilled Hunter

Post by SolitaryHowl » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:56 pm

I played the demo, its okay but nothing really blew me away.

My opinions below on the leaks...
Spoiler
Show
I am SO GLAD they are removing HMs. They were seriously a pain in the rear, and I didn't like carrying around a Pokemon just for HMs.

I was honestly expecting (but not hoping) that Litten's final evo would be a bipedal fighting cat, because that seems to be the trend with fire starters. But I heard its typing would actually be fire/dark, not fire/fighting....which just makes it even more awkward as it LOOKS like it should be fire/fighting. I'm glad Owliver Queen turned out to be true, but not sure on the water starter. I guess I just don't like Pokemon who CLEARLY are designed to be just one gender (like Machamp and Gardevoir), but can be available in the other gender too. Its just awkward and uncomfortable.

The number of new Pokemon is seriously underwhelming. I know there's like 800+ total Pokemon now, but it would have been nice to have more Pokemon related to the Hawaiian theme. A dolphin Pokemon would have been perfect, especially as a starter. A lot of the types don't even have any new Pokemon in Generation 7 (not counting the Alolan forms). The Pokemon that did get Alolan forms I felt didn't deserve them - I would have loved to see a water/fire Lapras for example (a lapras with a volcano on its back or something?), which would have not only been the first Pokemon of that typing but also been really unique to the region since Hawaii was born from underwater volcanic activity.

No fossil Pokemon. I know the Hawaiian islands are relatively new geographically speaking, but Nintendo has bent the rules on that kind of thing before (putting a t-rex fossil pokemon in Kalos/France).

Riceboy
Former User of the Month
Former User of the Month

Post by Riceboy » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:11 pm

My general opinion on the final starters is (spoiler warning): this

Long and full of salt??:
Spoiler
Show
I'm personally pretty weak when it comes to Pokemon, it's really hard for me to just hate them because I always feel like in some way, there's some one out there that loves them. Everyone's allowed their own opinion of course and I absolutely respect that! But every time I hear something extremely negative for reasons given that seem inconsiderate--it's pretty upsetting. The idea that a Pokemon is too "girly" to be male or "manly" to be female seems to be--idk? I don't know--I can understand with more humanoid Pokemon that people might find it weird, but even then--humans can be the same way. (Though they DO make certain Pokemon only male and only female...) I quite like either Pokemon design, no matter the gender, really. Though I think Popplio's final evolution is amazing and adorable--I see that people continue to hate him because it's "too girly"--which seems like a really odd, yet interesting I guess, reason to completely dislike a Pokemon to me. All the hate thrown at the starters is to be expected, but it's still quite sad to me.

Though I would have LIKED Litten to stay on four feet, I still really like its final form?? If it's Fire/Dark, it might very nearly become one of my favorite Pokemon. I'll be pretty sad if it's Fire/Fighting--but if it happens it happens. I don't think I'll pick a different starter either way. I know not everyone has the same thought process as I do too, of course. But--the idea of hating on something just because it's too girly or w/e will always seem to break my heart. That aside, everyone has their own tastes. Not everyone wants to have a flashy mermaid Pokemon or a buff kitty cat wrestler, and not everyone likes archer owls. That's cool. Not like everyone has to love it all.

Speaking of that, I find it interesting that I haven't seen much said about Rowlet other than its middle evolution having "weird hair". Its been pretty loved otherwise--which is funny.

Honestly, I can't see anything dimming my excitement or love for this game--especially when you can do really random cool stuff that has seemingly no real purpose.
i am ossan

paperpaws
Former WQ Moderator

Post by paperpaws » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:33 am

Ah man, that art breaks my heart.. Now I'm wondering if I'm coming across as that negative. I certainly hope not; although I'm pretty disappointed by Litten's final evolution it's really nothing more than that. ._.

Probably my own fault for getting hyped up about fan art like this anyway.

I'll never get why people project gender roles on Pokémon.. They're fictional creatures; it's not that far-fetched to acknowledge there just not being a lot of physical differences between the sexes - game technicalities aside. (I didn't even know Sylveon got hate.. That made and makes me sad.)

I haven't checked out the demo yet, but I really should! Would love to play around with all of the starters for a bir..

Return to “Other Video Games”